Because B. engleri is Highly susceptible to powdery mildew in spring and fall, the ability to make stem cutting "backups" is important.
I have tried, unsuccessfully, two or three times, in Sphagnum moss and in perlite to root engleri stem cuttings. The tender, soft, stem cuttings quickly turned to mush. I suspect it might go better in a warm greenhouse, as opposed to a high humidity terrarium.
I repotted my engleri a couple weeks ago, and knocked off a stem segment, which motivated another akadama experiment.
I used akadama, with a bit of pumice as the medium. I used a 16 once plastic cup, as a pot, because it was easy to pierce the cup with a heated skewer. I added a dozen holes to the cup, around the Akadama, to increase available oxygen in the root zone. And finally, I placed the potted cutting in a two gallon hocking jar. I left the lid just slightly open. The hocking jar was placed near, but not under, lights. Weather has been warn recently. High 70's, low 80's.
I think I may not have fully hydrated the akadama, as after a week I saw its color lightening, so I poured some distilled water into the cup. Excess drained off. Starting with less than fully wet akadama may have been helpful. ALWAYS rinse akadama well before using.
For several days, I have seen roots above the akadama. Today, I gently poured the akadama away from the stem cutting. I was delighted by the results shown in the photo, above. Now, I have an engleri to share in San Antonio :-)
An akadama leaf cutting was started at the same time as the stem cutting with about 1/2 inch of the two inch petiole submerged in a 50/50 mix of akadama and perlite, not too wet. Today, at the base of the petiole, with a bit of digging, four thick, clear white, roots are visible, each an inch or two long. So far, so good.